Skip to main content

Happy Valentine's Day!

This week I've been struggling with food poisoning.  I find it funny how I've eaten questionable things throughout my travels to around 30 countries, but it takes living in Dublin for me to get food poisoning. 

Though food quality here has been questionable, I never considered food hygiene an issue here, but it can happen anywhere!

Today I felt well enough to stop by Facebook for their Valentine's Day lunch, on paper everything sounded lovely, but having eaten at Facebook a number of times since arriving in Dublin, I've been very much underwhelmed.  Mr. D and I were saying how spoiled we were with the Menlo Park office.

The best part of lunch were the fresh oysters with shallot mignonette sauce, the worst were the beet arancini.  Mr. D grabbed a bit of every dessert, but we wish he hadn't.  After a quick sampling, we couldn't finish the rest. 
Desserts From The FB Office
Lunch At FB
We actually noticed this in general, so far most of the baked goods we've had in Dublin have been a disappointment.  Other than brown bread, everything else has been so so.  This happened again and again each time I ordered scones.  I finally decided to look up a place known for their scones, Keogh Cafe, but was once again disappointed by a hard rock like flavorless ball of dough.
Cherry And Almond Scone

Cherry And Almond Scone
After three bad scones, I had to look it up, turns out Irish scones are very different from British and Scottish scones.  The scones I was used to were soft and light in texture with a wonderful crust like outer shell, perfect for topping with clotted cream and a bit of strawberry jam.  Though I do like the raspberry jam my scones in Dublin have been served with, the hard texture of the Irish scone do leave something to be desired.  

Now I get why the Irish folks at my old office made it a point to talk about food in Ireland with phrases like, "well, it's improved".   Oh this will take getting used to.